Zoom for Students
Attending a remote meeting using Zoom
My instructor will be hosting remote meetings using "Zoom."
Keep in mind, you will need sufficient internet connection to live stream your Zoom sessions. See "HOW TO SET UP NEEDED TECHNOLOGY (HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE)" at https://www.teaching.ucla.edu/resources/student-remote-learning.
How do I attend these meetings?
Once a quarter, please complete the following before your first day of classes:
- If you do not already have the Zoom app on your device, download it from https://ucla.zoom.us/download#client_4meeting and install it (the Zoom app is available on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices)
- If you already have the Zoom app installed, open it and Check for updates and update if you're not using the latest version.
- Click on your profile in the upper right-hand corner of the Zoom app
- Select Check for Updates from the dropdown menu
- If a new version is available you will get a notification to update. You should see the following
- Open the Zoom app, go to Preferences
- Click Video and test your camera
- Click Audio and test your speaker and mic
- If you have not established your UCLA Zoom account, you need to go to https://ucla.zoom.us to establish one.
When it is time to attend your class meetings:
- Check with your instructor to see if you will be clicking on a link in the CCLE site, or if you will be given a link that look like this: ucla.zoom.us/j/123456789
- Click on the Zoom meeting link for your class.
- If you get a prompt Open zoom.us.app?, click Open zoom.us.app. This will open the Zoom app that you installed on your computer.
- You may get one of the following sign-in prompts. Regardless of which one, click the button that has Sign In.
- Choose Sign in with SSO only
- Specify ucla as your company domain and click Continue
- Sign in with your UCLA LOGON ID
- You will once again get a prompt Open zoom.us.app?, click Open zoom.us.app. This will complete the SSO sign-in for your Zoom app and you should be able to enter the Zoom meeting.
- If you continue to get "Please wait, the meeting host will let you in soon.", then you will need to wait for your instructor to let you into the Zoom meeting.
- When you have entered the meeting room, you will need to choose between Phone Call and Computer Audio for your audio option. You WILL NEED to make a selection or you will be unable to hear and participate in the meeting. If your device allows you, we recommend you use Join With Computer Audio.
The meeting room is not launching
If you see a message that says "Please wait for the host to start this meeting," you will need to wait for your instructor to launch the room. Once the instructor has joined the room, you will be automatically added to the room (you do not need to relaunch the room).
I can't hear the audio in the meeting room
Check your audio settings by clicking on the ^ next to the microphone icon in the bottom left corner of the Zoom window. If you can play audio on your computer (this is the recommended option), select Join Audio by Computer.
If you have done this and you still can't hear the audio, please reboot your computer and try to launch the meeting room again.
The instructor is asking me to mute my mic
Check your mic icon in the lower left corner of the Zoom window. Click the mic icon to mute.
A red slash through the mic icon is an indicator that the mic is muted.
Zoom Tutorial for Students (4 mins 50 secs)